Saturday, February 21, 2009

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars

One of my favorite cookies is a bar cookie that my mom made when I was
a kid. They are an oatmeal and peanut butter bar, covered with a layer
of melted chocolate chips. Mmm! I love love love those cookies!

I decided that I should try to healthy them up, since a stick of
butter and 2 cups of sugar in the recipe means you can only have one
bite if you're trying to be good :( Now, I'm not going to lie: the
following recipe is tasty, for a protein bar, but it's not even close
to being as yummy as the real thing. I do like them, though, and they
will satisfy my chocolate-peanut craving for now :)

Chocolate Peanut Butter Oatmeal Bars
Mix together:
1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c splenda
1/4 c apple sauce
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
1 egg white

When the above are combined, add:
1/4 c almond meal
1/2 c old fashioned rolled oats
2 scoops protein powder (60g total)
1/8 teaspoon salt

Mix until everything is well-combined. Pour into a greased 9x9 pan and
bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes. Don't over bake them or they'll be hard
and yucky. It should be just barely set, but not dry.

Spread 2 oz (4T) of chocolate chips over the top of the hot bars and
let them melt for about 10 minutes. Spread the melted chips over the
top of the bars with a knife. Allow them to cool completely (if you
can wait...hehe). I cut them into 8 bars. Mmmm.

Nutrition: 160 Cal, 7g fat, 1g sat fat, 17g carbs, 9g protein

No comments: