Tuesday, January 27, 2009

100 Calorie Packs Are Evil


I hate these things. But I have to give credit to marketers for thinking of a way to make junk seem like it's a smart, healthy decision. Seriously? Just because it's only 100 calories doesn't eliminate the processed flours, refined sugars, preservatives and nasty dyes in it. Sure, it might help you control your munching better than a huge bag of Oreos with no built-in portion control. But a small portion of crap is still crap. You'll still be hungry 30 minutes later, craving more carbs, and then want to reach for another, or go foraging for something else. And since you "only" had 100 calories for your first snack, what does it matter if you have another? :P

Personally, I would rather just have some string cheese and an apple - about 120 calories, but full of protein, fiber, and fat that will help keep me full for a while and prevent an insulin-induced repeat snack attack. And I didn't pay extra for a fancy label telling me it only has 100 calories, either!

No comments: